View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra1 View Post
What's up everyone, this is my first post so don't beat me up too bad I was in the Market for a BMW 135i, but after seeing the 370z at the Edmonds event and reading the road test, I've been converted.
No worries, no one is going to beat you up and Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
First off, I believe that the 4.7 to 60 Motortrend result is true and factual as well as the Edmonds test. I've done work for both these magazines and they are not going to post up false times. Weather or not they can get consitent 4.7 is questionable though.
No one said its not true, we are only discussing the validity of how that time represents the Z's normal actual performance. I don't doubt that with a nice launch and everything going very right, the Z can hit 60 in 4.7s. As you said, they probably cant get it consistently.

Quote:
Everyone here is talking about weight vs. HP, but knowone has mentioned, gear ratios,(except DD) drag coefecient, tire pressure, weight transfer, track temperature, etc. All of these things play a factor in 0-60 times.
When they do these test, they heat up the tires with many burn-outs, experiment with tire pressure, launch RPM's, and make sure that they are not going into a head wind.
That's true, specially about the gear ratios. Gearing has everything to do with 0-60 times. The thread just didn't merit getting into anything other than power and weight until now. Also I think that yes, there are other factors to take into account to judge a 0-60 time, however this standard is loosely measured to give you a sense of the acceleration of the car regardless of how it does it. A 4.7 paints a very different picture to me than does a 5.1 run. What Im trying to get at here is not whether the car can muster a 4.7s to 60 run, but rather if it will consistently be closer to that number or to 5.1s...

Quote:
Knowing that the 370z has lower drag, shorter wheelbase, stronger drive shaft, better traction, I have no doubt that with the right driver, car, and perfect road conditions that this time is acheivable. Either way, this is one quick great handling car and you can count me in at the dealership when they go on sale.
Drag doesn't make any real difference to 60. Nor would a shorter wheelbase. Carbon driveshaft would more efficiently transfer the engine power to the wheels, but they dont like very hard shocks, that wouldnt help. Better traction, possibly with the 275s. Driver goes unsaid and car shouldnt be a variable.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote