View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Red Voodoo
Base Member

Drives: a hard bargain!
Red Voodoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilvers View Post
Congratulations that is one beautiful Roadster Z you have there. Pearl white was always a magnificent looking exterior color on the Z a specially when clean. Upgrading your rotors and brake pads will make a difference even if you have base brakes. Suspension is something to address on our cars. Coilovers,front and rear sway bars,and differential bushings would be on your to do list. Don’t blame you wanting to upgrade the stock tires. Yokohama Advan Sport,Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+,and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S come to mind. Installing an engine oil cooler should be on your top priority a specially being in the warm climate you are in.
Thank you for the comment! I'm fortunate to have the Akebono calipers. I expect that my driving style would not benefit much from a rotor upgrade, but the drilled rotors do look nice, especially with a larger wheel. Sport pads, however, will be a must! As for suspension, there was a time that I was contemplating going the Swift route. I hear that they improve the ride somewhat, but I don't want to lose the standard ride height. Primarily because my wife occasionally drives it, and from previous experience, she's a little hard on the curbs when parking. My DD is lowered on Tein S springs, and the front lip has taken a beating. Tires will be another upgrade in a couple years, although how wide I'll go is still up in the air. As for the oil cooler? I've done some spirited driving in the hills and also commuted in 100°F+ summer temps in stop and go traffic. So far, no problem. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /Angelo350Z/ View Post
Beautiful Roadster! FWIW, I believe I did 20 mm front and 25 mm rear spacers with my OEM wheels and the stance was just perfect. Although, I was running Swift springs which complemented the look. I also installed adjustable rear sway bars (Eibach, I believe) along with KW V1 coilovers and SPL rear camber arms, but ended up re-installing OEM sway bar as the rear end became a little too twitchy for my taste even on the most conservative setting. Good luck with your mods!
Thank you! I agree with the spacer size choice when the car is dropped. 15/20 would be too conservative for that application, especially if you keep the increased negative camber that comes without upgrading the camber arms. I had a NA Miata that was dropped on springs with Koni adjustables and larger sways. That thing drove like it was on rails when using the OEM 14" wheels! It was dialed in perfectly. I miss that car.