View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #65 (permalink)
jwick
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 G37 6MT
jwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidus View Post
The only heat management you can do is to move the filter placement. I have shielded, wrapped and header armored all around and in every case there are varying degrees of filter melt. Wrapping the manifold is fruitless. I've narrowed the source of the heat to the header/manifold flange. If you tried to wrap the fit would be difficult in and out. If you shield the filter itself it also makes it a difficult push in or coming out. The melting area is located in the 1'oclock to 10'oclock area of the filter. At it's mildest it raised the silicone and made it shiny, at it's worst it bubbled the silicone and was almost completely sheared. If it wasn't a problem there wouldn't exist two separate attempts to remedy. I have a collection of filters and also photos of my various attempts to mitigate. In the latest try I have used header armor on the manifold and around the filter and so far I'm ok but this is a stopgap for the relocation kit to be up and readily available. That's what I'm waiting for.

What turbo are you running?

jwick is offline   Reply With Quote