View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
vipor
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Nismo 09-0183 QAB
vipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
It's easy and fun to learn, you don't need a degree to learn. The best way to learn is to get yourself a pet project to work on in your spare time, and then you can learn what you need to learn as you go. The trick is breaking up the project into small manageable pieces so that you can focus on a small task rather than the whole project. If you did 2 years of C++ then you should have enough to get you rolling, download a copy of Microsoft Visual Studio Express (free) and the Windows SDK and read the online guides on how to get everything configured. You can play with compiling the samples in the SDK to knock the rust off.
Yeah I remember back in the day getting a few VB books and learning that way. With all of the online tutorials and crap it should be easy to jump into application programming with C++ especially since I've kept most of the concepts of things like functions and recursion fresh doing PHP. Web of course is not the way I want to go. I did it in the past right about '99/'00 for a living and it was not a good way to make money. I'll probably take some time to do that, but I'm thinking networking might be the right way to go as far as a real job goes.

2009 NISMO # 0193 | QAB | Albums! | 05.04.10 (Dynojet) 291.94hp/248.28tq
Oil Cooler (DIY) | Custom Headlights | GTSPEC Braces | F.I. Long Tube Headers
vipor is offline   Reply With Quote