View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

You know, it is a bit of a toughie. I think it is worth it in the end though. The price tag of buying decent brakes (even 4 pot fronts and 2pot rears), a diff, wheels to clear your new fancy brakes and new rubber is going to be WAY more than $3000. I am going to get a new diff, the OS Giken to be exact. I will be able to then sell my stock diff and get some money back.

As far as wheels go, having wider wheels already allows me to slap race rubber on the stock wheels and be happy on the track. I don't plan on going wider than 285 in the rear for a good while. 255 front 285 rear. I will eventually get super light 18's to handle the track duty, but our choices will be limited because of the size of the brakes.

The other thing you have to remember is that you probably don't need better calipers than the sport package ones unless you will be doing some serious serious racing. I am personally going to only be doing lines, pads and fluid. The calipers and rotors (rotors for now) are fine for HPDE work.

Finally, the SRM. Wow is this system impressive. This system alone is worth getting the sports package. I LOVE heel and toeing but the edge you get under braking with SRM is quite valuable too. It also helps lengthen the life of the clutch and transmission. AND it can be turned off.

I don't know about you, but I cant justify buying every single one of these bits at once. We are talking 7k at least. Having the sports package is helping me hold off until I gradually setup the car the way I want it.

I personally think it is worth the $3000. An equal size aftermarket BBK will cost you $3000+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namir View Post
Hey RCZ, in hindsight: Do you feel like the sports package is worth it for someone who WILL be tracking the car and likely making the necessary modifications.

I'm assuming you are going to get a new diff, and probably some lightweight 18's with track tires. So thats already 2 major components of the sports package that need replacement (wheels and diff).
Would it be better to save the 3k and put it towards a set of AP racing brakes? For track I would most definitely get a set of coils, track wheels/tires, diff (eventually), and suspension bracing as needed. (And oil cooler but this doesn't have anything to do with sports vs non sports package)
So really the only thing left in the sports package is the brakes and the SRM.
Thoughts?

Last edited by RCZ; 03-04-2009 at 04:53 PM.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote