Thread: Cut OE Springs
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Tractionless
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 K23 ST 7AT
Tractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
If you had a legit reason or idea behind cutting your springs, then post it.
How about every aftermarket spring I've seen opinions of are stiffer than OE and they tend to lower the car more than I'd like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I don't recommend cutting the springs. It's a lot of trial and error. cut, install, take back apart, cut again. Repeat. Once you find the height you want. The ride goes to chit because the springs are too stiff. And if you cut too much. You got to buy new springs. It's not as easy as some make you believe if you want to do it right. Working with a smaller diameter spring as on the Z is not as easy as working a larger diameter spring.
I understand the trial and error and is why I asked if it had been done.

On my latter vehicle and based on others findings there was a set amount from the end of the top coil that one would cut for the prescribed drop. I bought that car with aftermarket springs and the front ride was hellacious. I returned cut OE springs to the front the make it enjoyable again. Never hurt a thing including OE nor aftermarket shocks, struts, mounts etc. Many owners of that car cut OE until they get to the straight line power level and traction that requires a stiffer setup.

Thanks for the input, I didn't realize the diameter came into play!

Last edited by Tractionless; 03-25-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Tractionless is offline   Reply With Quote