Thread: Sub question
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
dts3
Track Member

Drives: 08 Expedition
dts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide View Post
Hey Guys - Thank -you ~

I do not have Nav, which I guess is a good thing! I like tight bass, but I want it to kick like a rented mule~! Don't care for the noisy boom boom that is distorted.
dts3 - sound quality is very important to me. It just seems that the car setup with the hatch should be pretty easy to make some serious bass. I agree that you need to match the box volume to the sub. You bring up a good question though - ported vs. sealed. What is everyone else running?
My last setup was in a 99 two door Tahoe and I had two Rockford Fosgate 12" subs in a sealed box and it hit pretty good.
Sorry to drag this out, but one more question. With these new amps, is there still a need for a capacitor?

Appreciate you guys~!
CT
That's kind of why I was trying to poke at what you're after. Basically, IF you can get a correctly spec'd enclosure, you can get more kick from going ported. The trade-offs are that the subs don't reproduce the music as crisply, and you need a larger enclosure. I haven't had our spare tire out to get a good look at the space down there, but I would guess that if you want to run a 12" (or maybe even a 10") that there is not enough room down there to properly spec a ported enclosure. Many people don't look for ultimate sound quality in subs, which is understandable if you are going to be dropping the money for really good component (separate) mid-range and tweeters.
dts3 is offline   Reply With Quote