View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Laomatik
Base Member

Drives: 12 Nissan 370Z MB M6
Laomatik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Nismo#91 View Post
RPM Roll Bar 4 Point - Schroth Profi II Hans 6PT Camlock Harness - Hans 3

Not sure what your current or end goals are but they shaped my choices significantly. I wanted to make my car as close to a dedicated race car's safety systems as I could without making it not safe in the street (you can't wear a helmet on the street).

So I would have to look at a number of things, #1 seat, #2 harness, #3 cage/harness bar, #4 steering wheel, #5 fire suppression. There are a number of smaller details as well but I won't go over them here.

#1 I didn't want to diminish the current level of safety of the car on the street so I wanted to keep the side airbag functional but I needed a seat with harness holes. I also wanted seats with good side bolsters to prevent me from sliding around. So the only real option with the Nismo Juke seats so I had to search for months till I good deal showed up. Ideally I would have a seat with a fixed back but that would exclude OEM seats with airbags.

#2 Harness, easy 6 Point Cam Lock. There wasn't much price difference from 5 to 6 and 6 spreads out the load a little better in an important area so. With went with the cam lock because it's so simple do and undo which can be very important in the event of a fire. I went with Schroth Profi II hans because I liked how easily I could adjust them which I would be doing every time I got into the car at events. It's also important to select your Hans device too at this point to make sure the channels will fit your harness strap width. Just like an airbag doesn't work well without a seat belt your harness doesn't work well without a hans and helmet. Make sure the 3 work together well.

#3 In all honesty a High quality harness bar would have been better I think in the long run over the 4 point roll cage. (MA-Motorsports makes a good one) This is because I don't have to worry about parts of my body hitting the top bar middle (the only place in the open) on the street, it's padded now but that sfi padding is still very hard and more for helmets. At the time I questioned how good a lot of the harness bars were since most only mounted to 2 places and few mounted to actual places of strength in the vehicle. RPM Rollbars was and I think still is the only good bolt in roll bar manufacturer for out car, I didn't want weld in because of having to remove the interior for welding. Opted not to get the 5 point just because it would add some points that something could get snagged on and didn't look all the strong.

#4 The wheel was an easy decision because I couldn't find a way to keep the oem for the street and then have a detachable one for the track. They do make entering and exiting much easier since, but since I had sliders on the seat it wasn't too much of an issue.

#5 Fire suppression would be nice but a full system would be way to much for my level of commitment so I invested in some fire gear. One day I will get a hand held bottle in the event for some reason I couldn't get out. As always the first priority is to exit in a fire not to fiddle with an extinguisher.
Thanks for the input. I suppose the end goal for the car is a well sorted hpde car but who knows how deep down the rabbit hole I will end up. I suppose a harness bar would work for my needs, but I also like the idea of having as much safety as I can get without having a full on cage at this point.

I won't have sliders in my car so I'm hoping I'm nimble enough to get in and out without an aftermarket steering wheel lol
Laomatik is offline   Reply With Quote