View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cranberry
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z Touring
Cranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond reputeCranberry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need serious help on brake issue - Race experience preferably

So after a year of heat issues i was always forced to bring the 370 into the pits after 4 - 6 laps. I am very happy to say after this weekend and several thousand dollars in heat related upgrades i was able to do a full 20 minute session (32 laps) with my oil and engine temps well below worry levels

I did however run into another heat issue non engine related.... BRAKES!!!!

I currently am running factory calipers (not the akebono) with M sports drilled slotted rotors as well as M sport pads. The lines are all upgraded to SS and the fluid is race spec almost boil proof. I carry race experience for several years and am fully aware of regular break fade and adjusting for it by the end of the last few laps but what i experienced on the weekend was beyond anything i have experinced before.

By lap 11 coming into the fastest corner my breaks were to the floor at only about 80% grab and by corner 2 only carried about 40% grab. If corner 3 required any breaking like 1 or 2 i would probably be loosing time on the runs.

Its obvious the calipers are over heating and not displacing propperly.

Leading to my main question. Now keep in mind this is legit race related. I dont care about street squeek, i care about the breaks actually handling 28 laps of hard breaking that usually requires a pad replacement by 75 - 100 laps.

From people who carry track experience. Will the akebono handle the heat with Hawk HP plus or somethign more aggressive? Or should i just spend the extra $2500 and go right to a BBK?

I ran Brembos at 6 piston on the fronts on a diffrent car years back and would never experience break fade till after 35 - 40 laps and even at that it was no more then a 10 - 15% loss, easly adjustable in the foot. But i have never ran akebono and am curious if others feel they can actually handle the stress....

Greatly appreciate the help on this one!
2009 370z M/T - straight pipe cut outs / motordyne test pipes & intake manifold / K&N typhoon intake / ACT stage 2 race clutch & flywheel / ZEX wet nitrous / UpRev tune / stillen race oil cooler / 317 WHP N/A - 381 WHP with ZEX www.youtube.com/danialk ///\\\///\\\ Follow me on Instagram @dankobra
Cranberry is offline   Reply With Quote