View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Does this crap get lodged in the muffler as it works its way back from the cats? Sounds like a potential mess that could screw up a catback exhaust.

I looked over at the 350z forums and they had a number of complaints about Berk cats breaking apart. I'm guessing that it may be an issue with any HFC core potentially. Given the vast number of people with HFCs on this forum and the absence of complaint threads about failures, I imaging it's rare to have the cats disintegrate...?
It really depends on how the catalyst breaks up. Large chunks could get lodged anywhere from the break point back and impede airflow. It's possible these could get stuck anywhere in a chambered muffler or within tight bends in non-straight-through mufflers. Since you have the Stillen CBE, I would imagine any catalyst debris would have a better chance getting caught up in your muffler than mine (FI, straight through).

In the case of my GF's CLK, the catalyst separated but remained within the converter housing and just rattled around a lot. I'm assuming this is how most failures would play out... the catalyst would crack up but the majority of it would remain within the housing, making lots of noise.

Thankfully we were still covered by the emissions warranty (good to 80,000 miles) which saved us $1800 to replace one OEM cat... lol.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote