View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
tbonesteak
Track Member

Drives: MY09 MB 6MT
tbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 Different PureOne Oil Filter Models for the Z. Discuss.

Hey Guys,

This may prove beneficial to some of you guys, so I will try to explain the situation as coherently as possible. My first oil change was at 1,700 miles with Nissan Genuine Ester Oil and Purolator PureOne Filter, model PL 14612 which is:

At the PureOne website, this model was shown as the 370z's fitment. The specs are as follows:

PL14612
Specifications:
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Height: 2.93
O.D. 2.69
Relief Valve P.S.I. 14-18
Threads : M20-1.5
Type of Filter: Spin-on

I recently crossed the 5,000 mile mark and did my second oil change with Redline 5w30 oil. You can see that here:
Tbonesteak's 370 and her stablemates. 56k GG.

However, i had forgotten that the filter model I had previously used was the PL 14612. After looking at a thread created by ModShack where it showed him using a PL 14610 model, I automatically assumed that the 14610 was the one i used the first time and performed my oil change with the 14610 model:

During the oil change, i noticed that the old and new filters were pretty different. From what i could tell, the diameter and the number of holes were the same, but the 14610 was about 1-1.5 inches longer. Also, maybe it was just my paranoia, but it felt like the 14610 was a tiny bit more loose when being screwed on to the nipple. Feeling this loose-ness, i took out the old 14612 model out of the trash can and tried fitting it on. Like i said, it could have and probably was my paranoia, but it felt like the 14612 model screwed on a tiny bit tighter. At this moment, i had no choice so i just ended up installing the larger one (14610) and calling it a day. The car ran fine and still runs fine.

Few days have passed and since i'm a pretty anal guy when it comes to the well being of my cars, i decided to research the compatibility of the two PureOne models. To make a long story short, I could not find the specs for the 14610 model. However, I ran into a numerous motorcycle forums where the guys were using the 14610 model in applications where the 14612 was the designated "OEM Replacement". Voila! seeing that gave me some peace of mind, but i wanted to and still want to find some specs for the 14610 model to make sure that the length of the filter and the filtration area is the only difference in the two models. Looking at this pic,

it seems like the 14610 has the core going from top to bottom with no empty areas and I'm assuming it should be fine to use the larger one for our Z. I think it actually might be better to use the 14610 because of the larger filtration area, but i may be completely off.

Bottom line: If anyone can contribute with some specifications for the 14610 model and let us know that the two models are completely compatible, that would be awesome. If anyone has any additional knowledge that may be beneficial to this, that would be awesome as well. I just wanted to create some kind of an awareness for this because I sure as hell was scratching my head for a while when the filter that came out of the car was drastically different looking than the one i bought. Please discuss. Thanks.

Cheers,

Tim
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote