View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
Joe@ZSpeed
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Nissan
Joe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeJoe@ZSpeed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfromfl View Post
I tried calling ZSpeed today (Saturday) but didn't get any answer -- I'll try again next week.

I've decided to go with the Stage 3 South Bend clutch kit with CMAK and quiet disk, but don't have a clue which flywheel to select. I'll never track the car...it's basically just a fun toy to drive when the weather's nice. I'll need the Stage 3 to hold Topz's A2A kit. I don't like how the OEM flywheel "overshoots" revs when shifting in higher RPMs, but I appreciate how it contributes to a civilized drivetrain.

Where I drive are some stoplights/stop signs, and I really don't want to negatively affect the driveability of the car. I've read how touchy light flywheels can be, but I'm frustrated that the only choice at ZSpeed in the mid-20lb range is a nodular iron flywheel. On other cars, nodular iron doesn't get very good reviews.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the nodular iron flywheel vs. the 19lb DXD billet one, or other suggestions. Once I'm Ecutek-tuned with the supercharger, might the factory flywheel be an acceptable option?
Light flywheels are not really the main reason how the car takes off from a stop. It really has more to do with the clutch, Some clutches are more aggressive than others, I can make a 10lb flywheel drive just as well as a 30lb flywheel, Depends on the clutch set-up, car gearing etc.

The stage 3 daily will be about in the middle of super smooth and overly aggressive, It does not drive bad at all even with our 17lb flywheel. Yes it is a more aggressive than the Stage 2 Daily kit with the same flywheel but that is all in the clutch design.

Kits like the Southbend Stage 3 Daily have a non-marcel type disk, The Stage "2" Daily has a marcel type disk. This "Marcel" in the disk is what gives you the smoother, longer engagement window more like a stock clutch feel, Disks' "without" Marcel fin have a shorter engagement window and a more aggressive engagement.

The Southbend flywheel is a good "middle weight" for the 370Z @ 19lbs. 19lbs is really not that light regarding flywheels in a 3200ish lb car.

IMO 17-20 lbs is about as perfect as it gets for flywheel weight in this car. It is much more lively while retaining the driveability. Again, the clutch itself will play a more important role in how it actually drives though.

Phone 937-506-7224
E-Mail Sales@Zspeed.com

www.ZSPEED.com

Last edited by Joe@ZSpeed; 04-16-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Joe@ZSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote