View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #4045 (permalink)
280z/300zx
Track Member

Drives: 280z, 300zx, Vette
280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figtuna View Post
Inquiring minds have to know ...... with the proposed 2021 Nismo generating 475hp, why does anyone need more? You're pretty darn close to Corvette territory which weighs as much as a Nismo! The Stangs & Chevys weigh more than a 1000lbs more than the Nissan (Power-to-weight guys). A tricked out stock ZL1 Camero's sticker will run you into the mid $60K before taxes and I can't imagine how much insurance will set you back. I have issues with the "more hp is better" crowd. I spoke with a guy that has a Hellcat and says it's a fun car UNLESS you're on cold tires or in the rain. Meaning that you can find yourself in a hell of a situation and in the ditch if you're not completely focused.

Just my two cents fellas. 475hp is plenty for my fast cornering manners.
Figtuna
Wrong info. A Camaro weighs roughly 200lbs more than a nismo. That includes having the newest tech and safety features. A stang is about 400lbs heavier. Once the new z comes out they will be very hard pressed to make it any lighter due to the safety standard that will be necessary at that time. So while 475 hp in a 3400lbs car would be good, it would be no means make it stand out. And one can only imagine where other cars will be by 2021. The idea is the create a car that will he fresh and stay fresh for at least a few years.

As for the ZL1, you can get one at 62k pre tax if you shop around. And why bring up insurance? If you can buy a 60k car I imagine car insurance, gas, tires, etc are all something you can afford to go with it. That being said, the ZL1 is by far the best bang for the buck under 75k.

Any decent sports car will be dangerous on cold tired or rain. Anyone who doesn't take caution in those scenarios is asking for problems. My 370z and 370z nismo didn't like either very much. Obviously with more power comes more caution.

But I'll agree with you. 475hp is more than enough to have fun in a decent weight car. The problem becomes when a company fails to make a car competitive and then the car ends up scraped or like the current Z, forgotten. Either drop the performance, weight, price of the Z to compete in a different segment or step up and compete with the big boys. Don't try to do in between.

Also sometimes it comes down to performance per dollar. For example, I was set to buy a new grand sport, but why pay 68-70k for one when I can get a better performance car for cheaper in a ZL1. But when I went in to buy the ZL1 I opted for a left over 17 Z06 at discount. Do I need or even want 650hp? No, not really. But I bought because my other option would be to spend the same money for a lower performing car. That's what I don't want to happen to the next gen Z. They need to position the car to be the bang for the buck in its segment.

09 370z sport/touring -RIP// 10 370z NISMO - sold
280z/300zx is offline   Reply With Quote