View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #5086 (permalink)
Hotrodz
Premium Member

Drives: 10 Nissan 370z Nismo
Hotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvette View Post
While most folks won't shoot much past 200-300 yards, I've shot an AR platform gun out to 500 yards while on active duty. What I've heard is that one should plan to spend a $$ amount equal to what you spent on the rifle. Low end build, low end scope; high end build, high end scope. There are several good scopes out there, what you get will depend on budget and the range you intend to use your rifle. For example: my 500 yard rifle has a real old Bushnell 3x9 scope (I really need to update it ) but I can consistently put .308 rounds in a 4" group at 500 yards. Could the group be tighter? Sure, but if I'm hitting center mass on a torso, how accurate do I really need to be? 165 gr hollow point will pretty well ruin someone's day. My Mini 14 uses iron sights and I dialed it in for a 150 yd zero, 300 blackout has a scope set for 100 yds and the 6.8 is my 200-300 yd weapon. Oh and the .30-06 is my reach out and touch someone at 1000 yds...

Point is, what range to you expect to use the rifle and how often. TBH, there is no sense in buying a really high end scope to shoot once in a blue moon. IMHO, learn to shoot over iron sights before putting a scope on.... if you can't shoot over iron sights, you won't be able to shoot with a scope...
This all day long. I used to tell hunters that were just starting or did want spend a lit of money to just buy a Bushnell Trophy 3x9, it's a decent piece of glass and if you brake it, it comes with a free lifetime warranty. If you decide you want to move up from there then you are not out a lot of money.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Fast Intentions TT Installed and Tuned by Seb at SpecialtyZ 610whp 560tq:|Fast Intentions 3" TT-TDX|SpecialtyZ/Fast Intentions 72 Row Oil Cooler|SZ 6 Puck Clutch & Flywheel|3GsCustoms|Z1|Wavetrac|Hotchkis|Whiteline |Blitz|Fortune Auto 500|Fujimura|SPL|H&R|TK|TWM|RPM Rollbar|Sparco|Next Level Performance|TrackSpec|AeroFlow Dynamics|Pioneer|
Hotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote