View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Jayhovah
Premium Member

Drives: 520whp Fire Breather
Jayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfromfl View Post
Thanks very much for your thoughts, Jayhovah. So there IS an engine oil cooler somewhere? Where the heck is it?!
It's a relatively large sandwich plate between the block and oil filter with two coolant lines running to it.

Quote:
Just for the sake of linking, I found this DIY: z1 oil cooler installation w/ pics On page 3, Z1 provides a pdf to their updated instructions.

In my case, not only would I have to budget for a 34-row, but also a rolling jack stand, and two stationary stands, as I imagine you can't do the install with the tires on the floor. (Required removal of the undershroud?) Alternatively, I suppose I could get ramps from Harbor Freight, but they probably wouldn't clear the underside of the bumper before reaching the tires.

I like the "wait and see" acid test, but I don't relish the idea of having to dig back into the front of the car a second time if it does run too hot to put the cooler on.

I will never dump the clutch, because I know how hard that is on various drivetrain components, and I hate breaking things. Most likely, the s/c will only ever see full boost for short rolling acceleration runs lasting no longer than a minute, and quick blips on the throttle of a few seconds each. I've had the car up to 110 already, and it reaches that speed so quickly I can't imagine holding the pedal to the floor that long very often with the s/c -- I'd be hitting 160!
Sounds like you are hiring out the labor... If I were you I would go ahead and have an air cooler put in and have the OEM cooler deleted (some folks keep both, but the two will work against one another in some situations as the oil/air cooler regulates to ambient while the air/water regulates to coolant temp).
Quote:
(BTW, I just got my Uniden R3 in the mail...)
I've been running one since they were released, LOVE it! Make sure you keep up with firmware updates, Uniden has been very proactive in listening to the requests of the community and have been adding all sorts of new features with every update. Pretty refreshing!
Originally Posted by redondoaveb
You've got a twin turbo sound system, I think you met your audio goals.
Jayhovah is offline   Reply With Quote