View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
Yes. This isn't news. The enthusiast market is completely irrelevant from a profitability standpoint, because they don't buy cars in an amount large enough to move the needle. I'm still shocked that people expect a new z. Why? No one bought the Z34 in any meaningful numbers. Even if we get a new Z, there won't magically be 50k+ people who suddenly decide that a small two-seater makes sense. You're not getting a big share of the Vette market, and few people are cross shopping a Z with a 911.

So what's the play for the Z35 - move upmarket with more power, and hope that people buy a $50k+ Z, or move it downmarket and try to steal buyers from the rapidly shrinking GT86/BRZ market? It's a dead end, and I'm shocked they haven't just put a bullet in the Z34 and moved on. Killing it for 5-10 years would be a smart move, since that way they could at least build up enough demand to have a big first and second year pop like the 350 had.
Just remember what the product planner said though. Which is a point I been stressing since 2012 and people have tried to debate it on here with me. And now the productt planner said it. So he ha.... Paraphrasing he said.

They understand the relevance of Z heritage, it's not about the actual sales numbers as much as it is about what the car means for the brand.

The Halo car is named the halo, because all of the regular cars should have a model that it's suspension and transmission tuning is inspired by the sports car. In our brand, that model designation is SR. when you buy an SR model. You are that guy that wishes he could own a Z. Maybe only 5% of SR owners actually make their dream come true? But 150,000 SR models could be sold across the range based on the Z existing alone.

So Nissan is finally realizing this and sending out their wayward lackey message of hope to the media.