View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
ValidusVentus
Enthusiast Member

Drives: #18 Z34
ValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaysEffect View Post
That is equally vague. 32-38psi covers a huge variety of load ranges of about 300ibs per axle. 2 degrees of camber variation is also a huge margin for both steering geometry and tire contact. Changing the caster by that amount (4 degrees to 6 degrees) would possibly change your camber at full lock by 1-4 degrees.

This also doesn't take into account the wide variety of suspension setups these tire companies are advertising to. Cars without sway bars, cars with solid rear axles, cars with McPherson struts.

None of this is a problem for the Z. So additional caster AND camber is not a necessary change, its the reason nissan knocked the Z34 down to -+5 degrees of caster. If you want more response out of the tires, properly match the SR for the given wheel/tire you are trying to use. Not an easy thing to do when dealing with clearance and fitment issues (brakes or fenders). So yes, this is the ultimate compromise. Adding caster and camber ruins your instantaneous roll center. Something that will severely compromise how the suspension balance SHOULD be setup.
Could you explain or provide a link explaining this. We have gotten slightly off topic on the thread but its a good discussion. I'm going to do some research on my own regardless.
I am currently at +6deg caster and -2.2 camber up front I believe. IIRC it wasn't possible to get more caster with the SPL arms without forcing the other variables off, though I was under the impression -mostly from scuttlebutt- that even more caster would have been favorable and was seeing this as a limitation for the SPL arms. I know I need additional camber all around (from tire evidence) but I still drove it on the street a bunch over the last few years in Cali; with no AC/blower/interior, race seats and a full cage. Now I'm up in Washington its a different story.

I don't want to turn this into another "what's the best suspension settings!?" thread but I think there is an opportunity to learn something here.