View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 05:27 PM   #409 (permalink)
Jayhovah
Premium Member

Drives: 520whp Fire Breather
Jayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by socce View Post
Im in the Northeast - NYC. I have a z1 25 row with the plate ready to go on. Probably will only really be needing it when the outside temps are up there or pushing hard for extended time, which is not the usual. Would you recommend disconnecting the oem cooler or leaving it on ? It would be great if my oil temp doesn't take too long to get warm by the time im on the highway, not so concerned with oil temps getting too hot on for the typical weekend night cruise.
I think leaving the OEM cooler on will definitely get your up to temp sooner, a minute or maybe more from a cold start. On the other side of it, I don't really know if it will "fight" your air cooler or not. Do you track? I have settled into the position that, for a street car, the OEM cooler is adequate.

If it were me, I would probably remove the OEM cooler for simplicity sake.

One thing I've always thought about when considering an air cooler (on a street car) is that a relatively minor front fender bender could result in the car pumping all of its oil onto the street relatively quickly. I lived and drove in NYC for 4 years and fender benders seem to be a relatively common occurrence there... Hell, my car got hit a couple of times just parked on the street.

I am not in any way trying to dissuade you from putting on an air cooler, as it definitely does the best job... just explaining why, to this point, I have decided to stick with the OEM cooler even with my turbos. If I tracked I would opt for a huge 72 row cooler like some of the experienced track guys are using.

Hope that helps!
Originally Posted by redondoaveb
You've got a twin turbo sound system, I think you met your audio goals.
Jayhovah is offline   Reply With Quote