View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
ChopsZ
Track Member

Drives: 2016 370Z GM 6MT
ChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with others here. I wouldn't buy anything "Kicker". They're not all that great, and definitely not what I think of when speaking about SQ. I also agree about NOT running rear fill speakers. Not because they'll drown out the front speakers (that's what faders and level adjustments are for), but because the rear fill with ultimately screw up and collapse the front stage. Then again, it doesn't seem to me that front stage is all that important to you either.

Being that you are concerned about space and where to mount amps and such, it would be a smart move to look at only multi-channel amps. That way you can power the entire system with only one amp.

I just purchased an Arc Audio XDi 1200.6. It's a 6 channel amp, full Class D (digital), and runs at 150w watts x 4 @ 4 or 2 ohms OR 300w bridged into 2 ch stereo @ 4 ohms, and 150w x 2 @ 4 ohms, 300w x 2 @ 2 ohms, or 600 bridged mono @ 4 ohms. The best part is, it's SMALL! (13"W x 6.2"L x 2.1"H) And it has plenty of power for the entire system.

Lastly, the discussion about metal dome vs soft dome tweeters... I have heard and owned plenty of both over the years, both for car audio and home audio. Once you reach a certain price point, it really doesn't matter. In fact, some of the absolute best tweeters in the world are metal dome. It's all a matter of the technology involved that makes a tweeter.

Then again, you could go one step further and use no tweeter at all and end up with exquisite results, such as my Martin Logan electrostatic speakers that I use in my home system, that I recently modded by removing the passive crossover networks and now run a DSP and vertically bi-amped with two modded Carver M-500t MkII amps, producing 420 watts per channel into 4 ohms. And all of that power is not for loudness, it's for dynamic headroom.

Anyway, I'm rambling now.