View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
NissanTracker
Track Member

Drives: 07' Nismo, 14' Nismo
NissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond reputeNissanTracker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stillen S.C. Plenum charge assembly coolant leak during WOT on dyno

I purchased a VQ35HR stillen supercharger kit for my 07 Nismo from a forum member over at my350z. Since the stillen s.c. is more popular for the VQ37, i figured this would be the spot to post.

Before i begin, I am well aware about the consequences with purchasing any used forced induction kit. Kits get passed around. I contacted the seller before and everything seemed legit. So please, heard it from everyone already. "Should have got a new kit".

I personally installed the kit and upgraded to the larger heat exchanger from frozenboost. Type 101. The blower was inspected and was in good order. I replaced the bearings in all the pulley's, new belts, ect... I brought it over to Kaizen tunning in Boxboro Ma. They have great experience with Nissans, lots of GTR work is done there, 370's, ect... They boost leak, vac leaked, everything checked out.

When it came to the dyno, the car put only 320wHP at 6.5 PSI and was showing some AFR issues. Then a cloud of white smoke at the end of WOT came out. Entire pit was a rock concert. Suspecting a charge cooler leak, we took the 4 bolts out of which the charge cooler was assembled in the plenum. Slid it out and there was coolant in the plenum. I am stuck now having them pull the top end out and inspect the sleeves and doing a compression and leak down test. We couldn't pull the entire core out because it was hitting the timing chain cover.

Has anyone experienced a coolant leak from the plenum assembly? Hopefully the motor isn't toast. After the dyno, we let the car idle and it was fine. Still for reassurance, i'm going through the inspection. I can understand any wear and tear from all the components... but this charge cooler in the plenum has me scratching my head. It was well packaged upon receiving. No scratches or any evidence of damage during shipping.

All help is greatly appreciated. Any chance Stillen could shine in?

-NT

Last edited by NissanTracker; 07-08-2017 at 07:53 PM.
NissanTracker is offline   Reply With Quote