View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDog View Post
The short story is I downshifted into 3rd at the track on my 80k stock motor and it blew up while spooling up through 6500 RPM or so.

This spit out the bottom

Along with all my oil and my dream of a 2:07 lap

So I'm planning a rebuild. Possibly only the short block

What are the best parts for a weekend warrior track beast/daily driver.

I'm thinking;

Nismo billet oil pump gears?

forged crankshaft?

Overbore the pistons (but how big to still be safe)

Forged pistons? (But which ones)

Forged rods??

Which harmonic dampener/balancer?(to go with my JWT lightweight flywheel?

Stock cam setup and heads?

Larger throttle bodies perhaps?

Z1 400 hp kit (recycled)

What do you all think?

Please provide specific part numbers if able and any advice you might have to help me build a better than stock street motor tough enough for the track

As far as oiling, I have phunk's pan and will add an acusump and probably Nismo billet oil pump gears.

What about throttle bodies and anything else you can think of while I have the motor torn apart?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm hop ng to get the old girl back up and running soon but hope to use this opportunity to be"better than new"
Honestly I think you just had a case of bad luck. Doesn't seem common for these engines to grenade NA at 6500 that's still 1k off redline. Unless you miss shifted and overran the engine I think you just got bad luck.

If not boosted I don't think all the forged stuff is really going to due much for you and keep in mind typically forged pistons weigh more than cast and also need more clearance for heat expansion (I guess there are some forged out there that supposedly don't require this anymore).

Interested to see what you due best of luck.
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote