View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #75 (permalink)
Jayhovah
Premium Member

Drives: 520whp Fire Breather
Jayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfromfl View Post
I thought I was understanding that the consensus leans towards turbos being generally quieter than s/c (although depending upon a host of variables), but in this thread it seems that turbo and s/c exhaust systems are being compared interchangeably.

If there IS a difference in sound levels between the two systems, how can the s/c exhaust be modified to reduce some of this additional noise? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see some configuration that keeps the decibels to a manageable level. Seems like the cats are a key component to reduce some of the worst of the noise, but they should be repositioned downstream to avoid the worst of the heat? Is that right? Where would you place hangers, etc.? Will the sensors need additional cabling to reach? Other problems?

I found a suggestion on one website that recommended adding spiral inserts inside straight pipes to reduce excessive noise. Has anyone tried something like this?

I tried Googling the images of the exhausts of factory s/c cars, but that didn't really yield helpful results. Are factory s/c cars known to burn through cats?
There is definitely a difference in noise having turbos in the exhaust stream and its a very significant one. Exhaust sound, heat, velocity... energy in general, are soaked up by the turbo.

There is a lot of good discussion on this thread.. but for the sake of discussion we've probably overthought it quite a bit (which is healthy as it helps us all gain more knowledge....one of the primary purposes of this forum!)... I think if you just go with one of the quieter exhaust systems that follow the OEM design (allows for much larger muffler) and some resonated test pipes (or cats somewhere in the stream), you'll be fine.
Originally Posted by redondoaveb
You've got a twin turbo sound system, I think you met your audio goals.
Jayhovah is offline   Reply With Quote