Thread: softer ride
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #49 (permalink)
pearlwhite1
Base Member

Drives: 2012 Nismo
pearlwhite1 is a jewel in the roughpearlwhite1 is a jewel in the roughpearlwhite1 is a jewel in the roughpearlwhite1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINISTER View Post
Why is the rear spring rates stiffer on our cars?
Nismo Spring Rates:
F - 8.6kgf/mm (480lbs/inch)
R - 9.3kgf/mm (520lbs/inch)

Then when looking at coilover options like powertrix the spring rates flip?
Using swifts F-12 R-11

I suppose it has to do with the OEM damper valving...but seems like I read long ago that most rear wheel drive cars would/should have stiffer spring rates in the front.
I suppose our cars ride is maybe a clue. With fairly low spring rates in general in the front and rear... the harshness of the ride must be in the way the engineers tuned the valving in the dampers? ...so perhaps this is why the spring rates are stiffer in the rear and less in the front on our cars. However, when you switch to coilovers the valving is more "normal" and spring rates then switch back to a more agreed upon normal of stiffer in front and less stiff on the rear?
I have a 2012 nismo and it beat me up on the streets. so I really paid attention to what I was feeling going over these bumps. what I figured out was the *** end was the main problem. my remedy was simply replace the rear shocks (Dampers) with a stock set of sport dampers. night and day difference in the way it feels on the roads now. smoothed out the jarring effect going down the road. found a set on here for $25.00. totally happy with it now. no height change, no alignment cost just pure pleasure.
pearlwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote