View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #479 (permalink)
milkcow500
Base Member

Drives: 11 G37xs
milkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgunZ View Post
Are you saying you dont have to tune the RJM kit? So you dont have to add your $800 to $1000 to it? and come on, $800 to $1000 for a tune? Who does your tuning, Jesus himself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5897 View Post
I understand where you are coming from. But lets break this down... Not to be combative but to critically look at the argument.

Stillen kit = $6500 new *This is the tuner kit and thus only comes as a bare minimum. This isn't an apples to apples comparison. More accurately would be to compare turn key to turn key kits Stillen starting at $7100 on sale from $8200
A2A w/ Tial = $1700
Ecutek and Map sensor = $400 *More like $450 after all said and done just for parts... Now you have to factor in a retune ~$800-$1000 for a decent tuner
Si trim = $400 *For the Si trim now you have to factor in labor... so there is a couple more hundred dollars added.
9psi pulley = $120
Return kit = $750 *now you have to ditch the fuel system from the stillen kit to upgrade to one that will handle 500+whp... That means bigger injectors and return system... More than $1000+

Total = Just under $10k * A realistic total would be well into the $12k+ range... And a hacked up kit to make it do what they promised from the get go!

RJM kit = for sake of argument $9,999.00 MSRP *Turn Key! no changes needed no upgrades needed... simplicity in its finest.

OPTIONAL:
Hood = ~$600 (FRP) Optional yeah you can buy the hood or cut the factory one...
Shipping for hood = ~$180
Paint hood = $400 to $700
Look of hood = I am doing the design so it isn't going to be half assed or ugly. If I wouldn't put it on my car you can be sure I wont send it to molds...

Here are some other things you guys haven't taken into account...
-Cost of manufacturing. (I can tell you the RJM kit costs probably double if not more than the stillen kit to make.)
-Quality components: stillen uses cast parts where as RJM is all billet. Also the water pump alone for the RJM kit costs $500 and has a life of over 3400+ hours!!! It will last longer than the water pump in your motor! think about that... The guys at RJM want the kit to last longer than your car!
-Ease of installation RJM wants the everyday DIY guy to be able to install this in his garage.
-As you mentioned Scalability. Yes they could have built a cheaper kit. but that leaves you in the same situation as GAMMA and STILLEN buying all these parts to make them do what they advertised to do. RJM are a bunch of VQ owners they know what you guys want and I can tell you the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 is not much $$$... They built this kit for you to grow into not have to replace everything...

I know this because I am on their development calls and meetings. I am often the voice of the forums and if you guys bring something up it is most definitely heard in the development meetings. They have them every week... Yes the hood is a concern and they have been 3D printing like mad men to mock everything up. They have talked about adjustable motor mounts or new motor mounts but that goes down the slippery slope of adding more cost overall... Because now the every day guy cant install it in his garage... Honestly from all the input they have taken plus the preliminary flow testing you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Road tune - ~300
Dyno tune - ~500
Flex fuel tune - ~800

You can actually grab a brand new stillen kit for under their asking price if you make a few calls (~5500).

You can also do what the Q50 guys are doing and hit 500whp on the stock kit with just upgraded injectors, frozen boost upgrade, and air filter replacement.

BP kit is still bae though, but no love for 7at.