View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

Not wise to fit a fire-bomb that discharges into the cabin .... CO2 is not good for your continued ability to breathe.

In my race car, I'm required to have a 1kg powder bottle within reach when belted up, or a 2kg bottle with triggers in reach of the driver and another outside the bodywork - usually by a toggle-pull fitted at the base of the screen/A-pillar on the drivers-side.

An electrical isolator is also required in the same place.

This is all covered in our Confederation of Australian Motorsport regs - I'm sure that SCCA regs will provide advice as well - you should be able to find it on the web.

As I said, a fire-bomb will have 2 triggers, one in reach of the driver and the other outside.

At our race events, all marshal-points are manned and multiple first intervention vehicles stationed around the track so that in the event of an incident, an FIV can reach the incident in 20 seconds (we are required to use triple-layer suits that provide protection against flame for at least that long).

Track days do not typically offer this level of intervention support. In my Z, I have a 1kg hand-deld bottle in a (substantial) bracket at the base of the driver seat (bolted to the OEM front seat mounts).

Last edited by BGTV8; 03-04-2017 at 03:28 PM.
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote