View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jayhovah
Premium Member

Drives: 520whp Fire Breather
Jayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfromfl View Post
I thought that cats helped build/maintain pressure in s/c systems, and are more or less a mandatory item? I understand the need for their removal in turbo applications.

Perhaps with the lower torque curve of s/c systems, we need to stick to a "theoretical" redline of maybe 6 grand or so -- anything higher than that is asking for trouble.
I am, by no means, an expert in this stuff.. but I always thought the benefit of back-pressure wasn't really the pressure itself, but the increase in exhaust gas velocity in the lower rev range (which you want for scavenging purposes)... this is why you lose low-end torque if you go way oversized on your exhaust pipes. I think keeping the velocity in a good place is important for both NA and SC, but you have to factor in the big increase in exhaust volume when you go SC.

No matter how you slice it, the OEM cats are an enormous restriction and are not beneficial to making power. Otherwise, few people would buy HFCs or test pipes.

You might see more boost with OEM cats, that is only because flow through the motor is being restricted... without them, boost pressure likely reduces and power will absolutely increase. Often times this is a misunderstood concept and you will see people wonder why their car makes less power at the same boost pressure compared to another with a different setup.

Moving on, I have read many times that the heat, pressure, and volume of exhaust associated with going FI will destroy your OEM cats.. but there are plenty of HFC options for factory turbo charged cars. I have read on Subaru forums of folks having good success with some of the magnaflow universal cats... I would probably start by getting a cheap or second hand pair of test pipes and having a shop weld in a couple of those.. they aren't terribly expensive... I considered the same when I thought about keeping cats.. but I have test pipes now and am perfectly happy with them.
Originally Posted by redondoaveb
You've got a twin turbo sound system, I think you met your audio goals.
Jayhovah is offline   Reply With Quote