Thread: How is your top
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #98 (permalink)
OldGuyFla
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 370Z TS Roadster
OldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryogenius View Post
I have a 2010 Roadster Touring with 29,000 miles. I ran into this forum because I closed the top one day and it alarmed when I started driving. I stopped and tried to open it and nothing happened when I pushed the "Open/Close Top" button. I took it to a generic garage who ended up charging me $200 for the diagnosis that the soft top control module was bad and it was a $3,000 part new. They could get a used one for about $1,500, but none were in stock. The good news was that the hydraulic pump motor ($6,000) was OK.

I took the car to the Houston Mossy Nissan dealer for a second opinion. That diagnosis took two weeks (I was out of town the second week, so maybe the true time was 1-1/2 week?) and just for the diagnosis it was $850 in labor. Looking at the shop repair manual, I did not really have a problem with this because the electrical parts take a lot of disassembly of body parts to access. They did the repair while they were in there, which involved reconnecting the plastic power connector to the control module. No parts needed, thus the entire cost was the $850 diagnosis.

So now the top is working fine, though I have to admit I did lose some sleep after reading about repairs north of $15,000. What would I have done if that had been the case? I would be having serious thoughts about keeping the convertible, but the Houston weather has been outstanding lately in mid-January!
Welcome to the forum, good to hear that you were able to have the problem resolved.