View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #2946 (permalink)
Wonka2581
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: MY WIFE CRAZY....
Wonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
Saying what? That most of the stuff you're asking for is cost prohibitive? Because it is. No one said they CAN'T do it. People are saying Nissan won't do that stuff because most of it doesn't make sense financially. What are you not understanding?

And that's a terrible argument. Compared to the Z, your Evo with DCT is still way behind in the sports car market, so it's not even a good comparison. If your DCT (or any other for that matter) just swapped straight into the Z, then sure, there's no excuses for Nissan not to offer one as an option. Except that's not the case. The R&D to create a new DCT (or even a shared DCT) that works in the Z absolutely is not worth it with such low sales figures.

Best case is they develop a DCT to work in another, more marketable vehicle category to help with costs and it works with the new Z platform. Another option might be to design the new Z platform to work with an existing, earlier generation DCT. And yet another option is they change the target price point for the Z to accommodate any and all upgrades, in which case everything is pretty much up in the air as they could go in a number of directions with it. Bottom line is most people think a DCT in the new Z is doubtful, and your argument that it should be is wishful thinking. I don't think you'll find anyone here who thinks a DCT in the Z is a terrible powertrain option.
No I think if they even make a new Z (and that's a big if) a dual clutch auto would be a good option for the AT guys. But that being said they need to make it to handle at least 500 pounds of tourque. Also they need to keep and manual option. I think all the argueing is useless let's face the facts there has been no news or speculation that Nissan is going to make a new Z. I see the Z falling the way of Supra and or NSX. If they do make a new one it will be years from now if that.