View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red370 View Post
Quoted from answerbag.com

"Modern vehicles are more intelligent than they were in the past. With massive computerization, sensors inside the car adjust the engine’s behavior based on the conditions. Engine warmup is almost a non-requirement, although most manufacturers will include instructions to do so.

In addition, idling a car for longer wastes fuel. As FuelEconomy.gov puts it, idling gets 0 miles per gallon. Cars with larger engines typically waste more gas at idle than cars with smaller engines."

Couldnt put it better myself. And I end my input before another pissing match ensues.
You're getting your research from...answerbag.com? Well hold the phone everyone, this debate is OVER! lol

Sensors wont do crap for the expansion and contraction of metals - all it can do is adjust timing and the base idle speed of the motor at certain temperatures (yeah, of course it can do a ton more like alter fuel and whatnot, none of which really matters in this case). It also cant control the fact that all your oil dripped to the bottom of the car, how viscous oil is when its cold and how metals tend to become more brittle in colder temperatures. That's chemistry by the way...not answerbag.com :-p

People are throwing their 2 cents around in here like they are physicists or chemists, and since THEY don't give their car time to warm up, EVERYONE shouldn't! I even use my trucks auto-starter as I'm walking up to it, just to give the valvetrain sufficient time to get nice and oily, along with giving it a small amount of time to get the internal components SOMEWHAT warm.