View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #2658 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
How does it save on weight? It actually adds weight because the steering column is still there but it's disengaged for driving use. If there was an emergency, there's extra parts that will hydraulically shove the steering column into the steering wheel and you'll go from a emotionless video game driving experience to the most vague and numb EPAS in history aside from BMW's EPAS....

ILL PASS ON BOTH.... HYDRAULIC RACK N PINION ALL DAY OR BUST.
If it doesn't save weight or work well then I recant.

I thought the point was that it did. Why include as an exclusive option on their Red Sport model if it hampers actual, measurable handling performance? It isn't listed as a luxury or safety option as far as I can tell.

2017 Infiniti Q60 Coupe Models | Infiniti USA

If it sucks and/or it isn't an option for the Z, then I'm just wrong on that point, at least for this version of the technology.

Like I said, I am intrigued by the idea, but only see mention on it "potentially" saving weight, so if it's confirmed to add weight, please give me the link.

As to hydraulics and rack and pinion "all day every day", there's nothing inherently special about any particular technology, so I'm fine with steer-by-wire so long as it works well. I'm not opposed to it (or for it) solely on principle or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPenvy View Post
I seriously hope that IF there is a new Z they do not put any of that electronics steering nonsense in it.

It would break my fuckin heart to pass on a newer more powerful (hopefully good looking) Z due to some engineer thinking he knows better than drivers.

I work with engineers everyday trust me most can't even tie their shoes correctly let alone properly drive a vehicle haha
Engineers actually do usually know better than drivers -- although one hopes a good engineer will also take driver feedback into account when they engineer stuff.

When's the last time you composed a letter on a typewriter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPenvy View Post
I agree. The car is tiny if you need help knowing where the back of the car is you probably shouldn't be driving lol
It won't feel tiny without having at least power steering -- which, BTW, is an engineered technology that adds weight and more mechanical interference between the driver and the act of steering the car.

It ain't a MX-5 or Fiat.

EDIT: Sorry, I must have misread that if you just were talking about the rear camera, rather than handling

On the camera: I dunno, personally, I like the rear camera, but I don't see it as any more or less necessary than any other item that improves visibility.

Last edited by Jordo!; 09-13-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote