View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
CM370z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Nismuse
CM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond reputeCM370z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Berk HFC problems

Hi all,

I know there are a countless number of threads about HFC/TPs regardling the check engine light coming on but I want to see if anyone can diagnose mine.

I installed my USED Berk HFCs (previous owner claims the HFCs have 6k miles on them) about a month ago and my CEL has came on about 3 times after manually resetting it each time with about 350mi intervals between each time. Also, I've read that you are suppose to hear the hiss/rattle only on de-acceleration but on mine I can hear a rasp/rattle on acceleration too but its not as audible as it is on decel. I know we can't know for sure but are these the symptoms of an exhaust leak?

I don't have a code reader and apparently auto parts stores in California don't read them for you anymore. I installed it with new gaskets and hardware from Berk and I'm pretty sure I tightened all the bolts down pretty well. When I was taking off the old gaskets, the old gaskets didn't come off very cleanly and left residue on the flanges. I sanded off as much as I could but couldn't get it all off. For those who don't know, Berk HFC gaskets are made of this rubbery (for the lack of a better word) material.