View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #423 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
Thread dredge for any late (later than me) buyers:
The red versions of the HPS tubes have a longer-than-usual (vs the black version) breather port. I nearly cut them to half the length, on both sides. I could've cut the passenger a bit more, too. I believe the blue ones are the same story. See product pics and compare them with the black ones.

Went with these over the Z1's because I was thinking they'd be less of a wrestle and the presumed lesser stiffness would kinda be nicer against vibrations. Part of me kinda wishes I went the Z1 route and added breather hoses at the same time, though.

For noobs, this is doable without unplugging the MAF sensors and undoing the strut bar, or using grease. I don't even lift. Undo the air boxes and front engine cover, though. Really the only hurdle was the breathers. I took off the driver's side altogether since the resonator on the stock tube was in the way to pull things off safely in my mind.

Perspective of gains is what's already been discussed in this thread. Standalone (I'm still waiting for my aFe drop-ins), I just don't believe there's anything to expect by principal. At most it'd be at higher rpms, but very marginal because it's not literal forced induction. There's no reason to believe Nissan purposely supplied ****-flowing OEM tubes for what is a vacuum scenario. In combination with filters, however, I can make sense of Jordo's results.
I have tons and tons of details and dynos here if you havent already found it:
Proven Power Dyno Database Thread

There's some useful info earlier, but starting from p. 6 onward is probably most informative