View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #33 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimZEE370 View Post
I'm confuse can we lose control just with normal driving (straight ,dry road ) or when go go fast on corners? What about going through gears fast straight line? You guys are scaring me is rwd that bad ?
No, you will not lose control in normal driving. You have to be going fast in corners close to the limits of the car for this to apply. Most people have no idea where the limits of their cars are though and thats the dangerous part. This isn't just race track stuff though, lots of people like to go fast on exit ramps for example...I've seen more than a few instances where people lose it or almost lose it because they back off the throttle abruptly mid-corner. Remember, be smooth with the throttle and you will be OK. Even if you are mid corner going super fast, you can get off the gas, but you must do it SMOOTHLY. Count to 5 when as you are letting off.

RWD is not bad. You can drive your car hard chim, don't worry about these things just yet. Just be aware of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Most important thing is not to panic. It can be pretty easy to talk about what you should do to bring the tail end back in order, but for many people it's difficult to execute simply because they aren't expecting the slide and panic, or just don't have that "feel."

Best advice I can give is just to learn how to drive on the edge in a controlled environment. Sign up for some high performance driving classes... ride along with licensed instructors at track days, etc. Get some seat time and feel what it's like to drive on a race track and start pushing the edge as you gain confidence.

You can also do some PC sim racing to supplement your real life experience. A realistic simulator like iRacing.com (which uses laser scanned tracks, accurate to the millimeter) and a good setup and routine practice will keep your senses up in between track days.

At the end of the day, though, some people are just born with it. I can hang the tail out all day long with a smile on my face. For others, a little bit of wheel spin could lead to a panic situation and a crash.
It takes experience, end of the story.

Also I am always hesitant to suggest video games because people are just like "what?". But this is a HUUUUUUUUGE point. I wish everyone who is starting to drive a sports car would be FORCED to buy a Logitech G25 Racing wheel and GTR2. There are other good simulations and steering wheels too. THe G25 has a gated shifter and a clutch though, so it is the most realistic.

You guys have NO idea how helpful these "games" can be. They help you build automatic responses to slides/understeer/snap oversteer/ wheelspin/ spins/ weight transfer/ smoothness/ the correct line around corners. In a completely safe environment.

I highly HIGHLY suggest you guys who are just learning to handle RWD Spend $20 for GTR2 and $60 for a Logitech MOMO Racing Steering Wheel. If you have a little more cash, DEFINITELY get the Logitech G25 Wheel. You will thank me later.

Also, to the ones who gave me Rep, thank you. Lets me know my comments are appreciated and that they are actually being read. As stupid as it sounds, it justifies spending 15 min replying to a thread for the good of the members.

Last edited by RCZ; 02-25-2009 at 10:55 AM.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote