View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #849 (permalink)
TBatt
Premium Member

Drives: 2019 GT-R
TBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond reputeTBatt has a reputation beyond repute

My A2A install (using the stock canned Stillen tune) starts fine and idles fine but the drivability sucks. The tune is waaaaaaaay to lean with this setup. I finally got back to working on the car and took it for a short drive yesterday after replacing a bad fuel pump. Because the last time the car was driven (low fuel pressure) the ECU had fattened up the AFR to the point that it would hardly idle when I fired it up. After driving it around for about ten minutes it finally settled down at idle. Wide band says 14.4 AFR which is good. Driving the car is another matter though. When accelerating under normal (no boost) driving the car accelerates ok but as soon as I reach a no load cruise speed the AFR goes to about 17.5 which is bad, very bad. The car runs rough and isn't happy.

My plan is to go ahead and order a EcuTek kit along with license and get the car so it will drive so that I can get it to the tuner I want to use or have the Zen Master Seb remote tune it for me. John Visconti sells the EcuTek kit and also does remote tuning but I haven't seen many reviews on his work. Anybody got an opinion on John Visconti?

My Supra buddy is willing to help and he tuned his 800hp Supra himself. OMG, what a beast! His car has 220,000 miles on it and is still running super strong!

Back to what the OP was asking, my experience says that unless you have a AFR wide band gauge and know what the AFR is, you should not drive the car to the tuner unless he is located at the end of your driveway. Burned valves and pistons can result from running a lean mixture and oil wash down and ring damage from too rich of a mixture. Slightly off is no big deal but way off can cause serious damage.
RJM pedal, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FI TDX, FOG Light, Z1 Slotted Drilled rotors, Stillen SC, Quaife ATB, Z1 Oil cooler, AEM Gauge Set, Galeforce gauge mount, Avant Garde M590 Hypersilver w/RE-11, TopgunZ A2A kit., ECUtek tuned by Seb: ROLL TIDE!

Last edited by TBatt; 07-13-2016 at 08:21 AM.
TBatt is offline   Reply With Quote