View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

to the OP: You do not need XP8's, much less XP10's for the driving on the street. In fact it may even be dangerous if you aren't used to it because track pads often need a little heat to work. I've heard of people forgetting they have track pads on and blowing through stop signs on cold mornings. My recommendation is that if you want "better" without dealing with all the issues associated with track pads, get something like EBC Yellow Stuff. If you want a huge change in performance and are willing to put up with moderate noise and dust get Hawk HP+ pads; they are semi track pads.

I'm going to have to side with import111 (no surprise here); better pads will drastically change braking performance. There's no getting away from physics in the end... a higher coefficient of friction, all else being the same, will decelerate an object quicker and will generate more energy in the process. I will also repeat what he said about tires. XP10's will be a little overwhelming for the stock tires, but should be OK. Tires are the limiting factor...you can only slow down as fast as your tires can grip the road. To really make use of track pads, you should have stickier tires, otherwise you're wasting perfectly good tires and pads.

Also, for the folks who want XP8/XP10s for the track, but will also drive with them on the street. I would say they are streetable; cold bite on them inst as bad as say...a set of endless pads...so you can get away with them. The only real issue that I have with XP's on the street is the damn noise. Get ready to get stared at when you pull up just about anywhere but the race track and lets not even talk about braking while going in reverse...eEeeEeeeeeEEeeEEeeeeeeeeee....eeEEeeEeeE EeE!!!eeeeeEEEE! E! Also, you're going to get used to saying this phrase more often: "They are track pads, that's why"

Track pads make noise when they get hot too, but chances are you wont have to worry too much about getting them up to temperature on the street.....

Last edited by RCZ; 12-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote