View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need Exhaust advice with my setup...

So as some of you guys know, I'm running a full AAM setup. Currently in my possession, I have:

AAM Resonated Testpipes
AAM Mid Pipes
AAM S-Line Short Tails
AAM S-Line Axleback

I recently added the resonated test pipes and to summarize; everything went to hell. It got retarded loud, it sounded awful at 3k-4500rpm when it used to sound so purty. It really only sounded good at part throttle, in lower rpm's or balls out at 6k+ rpm. With the stock cats, AAM midpipes, and short tails, it was a bit too loud and it droned like mad, but it sounded pretty bad@ss. I didn't want to remove the RTP's because from a performance standpoint, its pretty outstanding.

So like a good forum member, I researched my axle back options... We have the Meisterschaft axle back, the AAM axleback, Stock axle backs, Ebay axle backs, and maybe a couple other options I didn't list. The exhaust was so retarded loud, I expected to hit the happy median. I went and pulled the trigger on the AAM axleback. Lets just say it worked a little too well. It sounds like its a few decibles louder than my old stock Nismo exhaust. Running straight TP's may add a bit more noise, but not nearly enough to increase the volume I desired.

Now to just get this out of the way, yes, maybe I should have just went with the F.I. 12" and RTP's. I heard Elmo370Z's car and it had a good compromise between loud, aggressive, but neighborhood friendly if need be. MY car was at least twice as loud as his, now it's twice as quiet. So I have to find another solution...

Try another axleback... I see a used Meisterschaft floating around here, but I really don't feel like dropping $1500 for it. And that can either be just right or still bonkers loud.

Weld 12" Vibrant resonators into the Short Tails I have. That may not do enough to make it sound better, but still be loud. But its quick, cheap, and only mods the cheapest part.

Weld 18" resonators into the midpipes with the 12" in place, leave short tails as is.

Replace the 12" resonators with 18's, and move the 12"s to the short tails. I think this would sound great, but seems a bit intensive and I compromise the quality and integrity of the AAM midpipe.

Sell the AAM stuff and buy something else

Or, throw the factory cats back on, sell the AAM axle back, and take the performance hit until I find another option. FYI, the car is tuned with the RTP's. So the next question is, do I need a retune putting stock cats back on, and am I better off using that money looking for a solution?

Now this is no knock on AAM's stuff, their exhausts are awesome and high quality. It makes great power, definitely on par with F.I gear in that regard. It just seems like I'm in this weird spot where they don't offer an appropriate option for what I am trying to achieve. And to list that out, it's:

A complete exhaust with TP's/Headers/HFC's that is not much louder or quieter than short tails, that sounds aggressive, with no rasp.

I need some fu*#king help getting this fixed and not blast a fu*kton more money on the solution.

Last edited by SS_Firehawk; 03-01-2016 at 11:04 PM.
SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote