View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

It of course doesn't have to be so bad of an experience, I know. I just see people thinking you can slap turbo kits and keep driving the car like nothing happened. I mean it is possible and it does happen with well designed kits, but all inclusive kits are going to run you upwards of $10,000 all said and done. Of course the potential of a turbo car is MUCH greater, there is no denying that.

I wouldn't mind a 4.0L.

You can't have your cake and eat it too though. 500whp is almost twice the stock whp. You can't run very small turbos to get that kind of power unless the compression is really high, which you wouldn't do because you would end up blowing up. So you would have to get lower compression pistons at which point the setup wouldn't make as much power with the smaller turbos and you would have to get bigger ones to do the trick. I don't know where the limits of the stock block are as far as boost is concerned. That is why we have those guys who are in a hurry to be the first to have turboed Z's to do all the experiments before we do . I would assume a pair of GT28's or 30's would do the trick for 500WHP. I would expect full boost with those on the 3.7L engine with lower compression internals @ 3700RPM. 18-21PSI. With stock compression, 500whp...12PSI @3300rpm with twin 20G's.

I'm still with Q_USAF though, I like the idea of a free revving N/A responsive engine..hope it makes power

Intake
Headers
Exhaust
Cams
Heads
Intake Mani
Flywheel
Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
^^^ Interesting. I don't totally agree with your "turbo shenanigans" description, but I do know what you mean. I DO think it'd cost about the same to make the car 400whp N/A as it would to make it 500whp through FI. BUT, that's because 400 is a HIGH number for a small displacement motor.

Also, I just thought about it, why not bore and stroke? Make the car either a 3.8 or a 3.9 (or if you're crazy, a 4.0) and THEN go for more power. Obviously the 3.8 parts are already around.

I know what you mean about having the power when you want it, but a good turbo setup doesn't have to take forever to spool. In fact, with a lightweight flywheel the turbos spool a bit quicker, and to make the 400-500whp mark, you don't need big turbos, so they'd spool even faster.

Just a thought.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote