View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #120 (permalink)
Jayhovah
Premium Member

Drives: 520whp Fire Breather
Jayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond reputeJayhovah has a reputation beyond repute

We keep pushing. I can't believe I thought we were getting over the hump 3 days ago. Every time I think we are going to cruise to the finish line, we just run into more issues that aren't covered in the instructions.

Got the Power steering cooler back in with the new bracket. The mounting bolts for the cooler-to-bracket were too short (scavenged from stock bolts removed to keep moving), the button head bolts which mount the bracket (and intercooler bracket) to the radiator supports were too long (drilled holes in the plastic behind them to clearance), and Gamma forgot to include new power steering lines in my kit (went to auto parts store ad bought some generic). We also had to cut a hole in the plastic next to the PS cooler and bend the inlet down so the hoses ran through cleanly.

Got the intercoolers installed - the horn will need to be relocated (not sure where yet), support suggests we just find a spot around the area and bolt it there, but that the horn needs to face down or to the side so that water does not intrude into it. I also had some sensor sticking off the middle support - the tab it was mounted on was bent back to clearance. Had to remove the supports for the hood latch points. We filled the gap with washers to keep them positioned properly - hopefully those supports being deleted wont cause a huge issue. The intercoolers now become support structure, but their mount points are more inboard compared to where the other supports were.

Got much of the intercooler piping mocked up.. Gamma labeled the turbo inlet pipes as if they are identical, but it turns out they are slightly different. We blew a bunch of time banging our heads against the wall there and still aren't sure we have them as Gamma intended, though we seem to have them in a workable configuration so I'm not sure how much I care.

Another thing missing from the instructions, engine mount spacers. No mention in the manual.. I sent a picture to support trying to figure out their purpose and that's how I found out. Groove - make sure you align the slot of the spacers so that the little nubbin on the bottom of the engine mounts fits into them (you'll know what I mean when you put them in).

Tomorrow we're hoping to get the upper intake mani modded and reinstalled, and finish the IC piping mockup and get the inlets drilled and tapped. If things go really well, we'll install the new oil pan and plumb the turbo drains. This project is taking forever, but we are steadily clearing each hurdle.
Originally Posted by redondoaveb
You've got a twin turbo sound system, I think you met your audio goals.
Jayhovah is offline   Reply With Quote