View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #55 (permalink)
2011 Nismo#91
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowly
2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. I don't see how the MC can influence SC failure.

The reason for replacing the MC is because of difficulty in bleeding the system when replacing the CSC. This becomes an issue on higher mileage cars, not brand new cars. For lack of a better term, an "aged" MC has more wear inside and may leak (to some extent) internally. As a result, it's difficult and/or impossible to get air out of the system.

On a car with 1900 miles (OP), this should not be an issue. After the car is aged - 50, 60, 70K miles, and clutch/csc replacement is necessary, then absolutely, replace the MC too.

My recommendation, change the fluid in the reservoir once a year. Use some kind of suction device to suck out most (not all) of the fluid from the reservoir. Replenish. Drive the car a few days then repeat. Do this 2 or 3 times to renew the fluid. Every 2 years do a thorough flush. Doing this removes contaminants from the clutch line and should prolong life of the entire system.

Edit: I should add, failure of a CSC on a brand new car is very discerning. Doesn't inspire lots of confidence in the build quality. Usually they fail later, 40-60K miles.
I completely agree with the MC stuff. I think many people are over zealous about replacing both when the only information has been from a few techs saying that think it maybe causing an issue too.

One thing of note in my car is that I changed the clutch fluid a few months after I changed my brake fluid. Boiled the stock clutch fluid on the track because I never realized test pipes or HFCs with out a heat shield are a bit too close to the stock line. Anyway I have a brake fluid tester (test water content) the older brake fluid is still at less then 1% water content but the clutch fluid is already over 4% and a dark brown. I am going to change it soon but water seems to be getting into the clutch fluid very easily.
2011 Nismo#91 is offline   Reply With Quote