View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #54 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red370 View Post
Ok, im seeing alot of people saying they're shifting at 4-4.5k to stay in the "power band", why is that necessary when the speed limit is 25-35mph? I dont care if you say im babying my car or not, it makes ZERO sense to me commuting to and from work and trying to "stay in the power band", i dont need to. And to those that ask me, "well why did you buy the car if you dont plan to drive it", gas here is $3.15 a gallon for 91 Octane, sorry im not a "baller" like some of you, but I appreciate getting decent gas mileage when I can, dont get me wrong, I like to drive in a spirited fashion from time to time, but I also dont unnecessarily haul a$$ everywhere just because I drive a sports car.
Has it occurred to you that we're all from different regions of the country, and speed limits vary depending on where you live? I live off of a 4 lane highway with a 50mph speed limit, thank you very much. And the Interstate is less than a mile from my house, with a 70mph speed limit. Also, shifting in the powerband doesn't automatically mean you're hauling a$$. It depends on how you get there. If you're mashing your foot to the floor, then yeah, you're hauling a$$ -- and that's true regardless of whether you're shifting at 3k or redlining it at 7.5k. When I accelerate in normal driving, I typically don't depress the gas pedal any more than around 40%. It takes me a few seconds to get up to 4.5k. I'm not hauling a$$. I just like to maintain the responsiveness of the engine that results from shifting in the powerband as I make my way up way past 35mph. Sorry if the speed limit in your area is so low, but don't go assuming that everyone drives on the same roads that you do every day.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote