View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
:So, say I take tires the width most Prius's use but a high performance tire like the RE-11. Then I take the Nismo's stock tire size in the RE-11. Let's just say both 19" and compare on same exact 370Z. I would think all I would do with the prius size is spin all day. It's a confusing concept to think other-wise. However, I am an opened mind and like to learn.
Physics is physics. These friction concepts have been known since the time of Coulomb (18th century). You can prove the concept mathematically yourself using the formula I included above. Ffind the variable that represents contact area. (you can't....it doesn't exist)

Contact area has nothing to do with friction, and increasing contact area won't increase your traction. Now, if you're going to track the car, then you'll want wider tires for the same reason race cars use wider tires...to keep them from getting greasy when you really push them on the track. I'd be pretty surprised if more than a few people here on this forum had the skill to push their Z, even an FI Z, that hard on the track where the difference between 325's and 275's would affect your ability to run the car.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote