View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
MR.nismo
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2014 Nismo Gun Metal
MR.nismo is a splendid one to beholdMR.nismo is a splendid one to beholdMR.nismo is a splendid one to beholdMR.nismo is a splendid one to beholdMR.nismo is a splendid one to beholdMR.nismo is a splendid one to beholdMR.nismo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
A novice shouldn't be modifying a car this dramatically. It's not novice territory. You need to know WHY things happen, not just what part goes where. Start doing your homework. Corky Bell wrote a book on turbocharging, and one on supercharging. Go read both of those.

Since you're asking about supercharger kits, I'm assuming you mean Stillen. They have more popped motors than anyone else. That's not "less chance of things going wrong".
As Chuck has stated, and/or in another words, If you don't know the mechanics and the "whys" behind forced induction (either turbo or supercharger) then you will be on a long and painful road. Forced induction does not mean get on the gas as often as you can and expect for everything to be all peachy, especially if the engine was converted from N/A to F/I.
Besides the extra power there are some "unwanted extras" that comes with it I.E. extra heat (plenty of it), extra stress, extra pressure (either positive or negative), extra wear and tear, frequent and more periodic inspections, extra care on other areas and the list goes on and on.
The main difference as to be "worry/maintenance free" which is a lie, is the type of system is installed. Is it an e-bay kit installed in your garage or is it a well know and reputable company doing the engine build and taking in consideration most of the possible "can go wrong" aspects into the equation.
I hear young kids talking so much about "x amount of boost" and they think that is all needed to know. Boost amounts is actually irrelevant, for example; 8 or 9 lbs of boost in a well build engine can outperform an e-bay quick install kit that is "rated" at making 15 lbs of boost.
Do your homework, don't be afraid of asking questions and you will see what most of us are saying here. By no means, I'm discouraging you from going force induction, (force induction is as addictive as sex) but the issue is not as simple as "install and forget".