View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #5885 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux View Post
All very good points!

I'll preface the following by saying the instructor gave me a specific line to follow - which I did. I wish audio was available from the headset. 99% of what you wrote was being discussed in the car while I was driving and calling out each of the flag the stations.

1) My early breaking into turn one was because that was the one corner the instructor really wanted me to focus on. He wanted me to go in slower so I was less focussed on the speed carried throughout and more on the line. That's why it was improving as the session progressed. The project Mu HC800's I was running also felt like they faded a bit, they weren't very consistent under threshold braking. Probably going to switch to XP10 or 12 up front and XP 8 or 10 rear (respectively).

2) The instructor continually reminded me to straddle the centerline but aim for the flag station. Felt weird, but I am a newb so I listened rather than interject, and you obviously picked up on it.

3) Once again, the instructor had me take that specific line. Track out so the approach into 5 is tight, feed throttle mid corner and track out naturally into 6. Every time I deviated, he would yell at me lol. In my ride-alongs with ResIpsa and TakJak, they followed a similar line (although going flat out and not braking at all lol) through the corner. My instructors reasoning was, tracking out going down the chute the way we did allows you to brake much later. In the last session of the day, I felt as though I was gaining too much on the cars in front of me (too close for my comfort level, at least), and I found I had to leave much more room before taking turn 4 if I stuck with the line.

5) yeah I accidentally stabbed the throttle, but I recognized it and corrected it, not by letting completely off throttle, but feathering.

6) It's definitely true what they say, wherever your eyes go, your car will go. Well, when the instructor would remind me to look further up the track, I would saw the wheel as my focal point changed. I definitely need work in this department.

7) Yes, the instructor reminded me about it on the spot. The mustang driver knew he was gonna get the point by, and as soon as the tip of my finger made it out, he was going for it lol.

8) the instructor didn't like me taking my hand off the wheel unless I was giving a point by or waving to a flag stand during the cool down lap. I can see the argument for both sides.

Seat time is seat time regardless of which group I run with. Thank you for the critique! It's much appreciated, and if you remember and have time to mention the other points, I am all ears.
Bear in mind, I'm just an Intermediate, and I've never been on Summit Main. I cannot see or feel all of the things going on, on-track. He's an instructor, so do what he says. If Respisa and TakJak are both doing it, it's probably the right line

That being said, I can see what he might want you to stay left on that corner. You're basically blasting through the previous right-hander and scrubbing your speed, turning the left into a complete throw-away....

Not a bad idea about keeping the hands on the wheel, but another weekend, you should be able to free them up quick enough for a wave...

Keeping your head and eyes up can be difficult sometimes, especially at first. But you'll find that if you do it on a daily basis while driving around, you will find it easier on track.

Dont go with XP12/10's yet. Go with 10/8s. Mainly because, you only need enough brake to overpower your tires, and the 10/8 setup can EASILY do that, until you go to some R-Comps (which you shouldn't do for at least 2-3 more full weekends, minimum).

Did you swap your brake fluid with your pads? If you did not, that is likely where your fade is coming from. The HC800's are supposedly good up to about the same temp as the XP10s are...but you're the first person Ive seen trying to run Project Mu pads at the track...