View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #5881 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux View Post
I felt towards the 7th session I was beginning to experiment how deep I could brake, how I could smooth out turn in, messing around with different gear selections, and different lines (like you said).

My instructor specifically told me to stay to the outside on the approach to turn 10 (under the bridge), but I found that if I drove a straight line from 9's exit to 10 turn in, it took me to the inside of the track, and was a bit faster. He showed me his summit main videos in his vette and he took the same approach as I did into 10 lol. He said "do as I say, not as I do" but never elaborated. Maybe staying outside is faster?

If the instructor believes I'm good enough for HPDE2, then I am good enough for HPDE1 again
You definitely want to stay on the outside there, going under the bridge. Staying inside gives you a bad approach angle, because of the slight right turn. You'd go just as fast or faster if you faded out wide to the outside. Typical reason for not doing this? Pucker factor. Them walls look real close...

1) @1:20 - very early braking. Use more pressure, less time on the brakes. You got better about it throughout the video though.

2) @1:40 - you kinda meander about on the track here. Stay right, no reason to be center, you just had to get back right again to set yourself up for the left. In reality, you'd probably have faded out left as you exited the corner, and slowly brought yourself back to track-right.

3) @1:58 - I dont like how you take this corner at all - it's a throw-away corner, and shouldnt be handled like the final corner. was your instructor teaching it this way to you? Seemed very odd to me, and almost every other car took it how I'd take it: approximately mid-track, or to the right. When you exit the first corner, you could easily have just kept turning and stayed track-right, creating a better setup for the left.

4) @2:42 - Good - use that run-off area. That's why he gave you the thumbs up...

5) @3:02 - your throttle input here was very abrupt mid-corner. Careful with that, you may upset the balance of the car if you were at the limit...

6) Throughout - you tend to adjust your steering input mid-corner a lot. Try to focus on not moving your hands, and using your throttle to adjust your turn...

7) Your Point-by's - need to be SIGNIFICANTLY more deliberate. Your arm should be at full extension out of the window, be it to the left, or over the roof. Don't half-*** it, and risk someone mis-reading your intentions because "well, he never really gave a good signal so I just went for it..."

8) When given a point - wave once you pass. Just common courtesy for a good point.

I had more, but I need to hit the sack. That is the majority of stuff I noticed. You know most of your problems: not utilizing the full width of the track and your turn-in's need work. These all come with more seat time. Being in "HPD2" only means you'll be with other faster people. It's hardly a reflection of your own skill at driving, so you could be in HPD1 for many weekends and still be improving

Other than that, looked like a solid first effort, and you kept it shiny still, so great job.