View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #52 (permalink)
Duc_Z09
Track Member

Drives: With the blinker on.
Duc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my opinion, feel free to disagree...

I think cars like the Golf GTI, BRZ, Focus ST, Mini Cooper, Mazdaspeed 3, etc are so popular because they feel a lot faster than they actually are. That's why owners get so attached to them.

But the Z is the opposite; it's hard to believe the speedometer when you look down and see triple digits because the power is smooth and deceptive. V8 muscle cars have neck-snapping torque to let you know how quickly you're accelerating, and the hot hatches have torque steer... but the Z just sort of zips along without any drama, then sticks like flypaper when you reach an apex and start to apply serious lateral G's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some cars can be exhilarating at relatively low limits (i.e. you can drift a BRZ at 20mph because it has no grip), but for the Z those limits are a lot higher and you have to push it harder to feel the excitement.
2009 370z #206 (all mods are Home Depot)
2009 Ducati 848 (full Ohlins, Termignoni, etc)
2003 Grand Cherokee (long arms, big tires, 4.56, lockers)
Duc_Z09 is offline   Reply With Quote