View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #60 (permalink)
Corona
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z
Corona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swindler View Post
Cool thanks a lot for all that info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry slammed with work. I'll echo what swindler said. I have mine hooked up via USB. I also have the option of AV/HDMI connection which allows me the use of Pioneer apps. Eh, its ok. CarPlay and standard Pioneer HU are good enough. I wouldn't spend the coin on the Apple AV/HDMI adapter.

The only units worth considering are 4000NEX or 8000NEX IMO. 4000NEX and 8000NEX have the same 7" screen and HU features. The only difference between the two is that the 8000NEX is a capacitive touch screen (glossy) and it comes pre-loaded with NAV on the HD. 4000NEX uses a resistive touch screen (matte).

I personally preferred the resistive screen for the matte finish. I found the capacitive was too reflective for my taste. Colors are slightly better on the 8000NEX with the screen but I took that as a trade off. FL sun is constant, lol. I also decided with CarPlay the pre-installed NAV maps wasn't a deciding factor. You will notice that Pioneer doesn't even allow you to compare the 4000NEX against the other models in the NEX line because spec for spec the 4000NEX is so close to the top model. You honestly cannot go wrong with either. Pioneer NAV has never done me wrong.

You will notice that Pioneer is releasing "new" NEX models. ie. 4100NEX and 8100NEX. The "100" just means it has CarPlay pre-installed on the HU. The 4000NEX (I can only assume the same for the 8000NEX) required a firmware update. Literally takes a $5 2 GB SD card and you download the firmware from your computer and plug it into the HU. Takes *maybe* 10mins from start to finish. 20 mins if you include the trip to the store, lol.

Super easy, save the move and get "last years" 4000/8000 model.

Bluetooth is ok with the windows up. No one complains that I sound distant or hard to hear. This is with full HKS exhaust . Maps is great because you can pull up previously text'd addresses or use your phone as the interface to your HU. So no more typing on the screen. Pull up your phone/or use Siri to get directions. Same goes for Music/iHeartRadio/etc. Honestly, Im very impressed with the "beta" CarPlay. I paid about $500 shipped for mine.

Not sure what work you'll need to additional to make it work if you have Bose Nav/Audio. I know those can be a PITA. Hopefully this helps some.

Corona is offline   Reply With Quote