Thread: DIY Intake
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cbtech
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Cbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
The problem is the overly sensitive MAF's on this car -- they are VERY sensitive to turbulence.

If the home made intakes are sufficiently secured, should work okay (heat soak being the only issue if unshielded). If they are moving around, i can pretty much guarantee you you will see evidence of losses on a dyno due to random misreads of air flow...

EDIT: I wouldn't have painted the inside... that is almost definitely going to flake off and make its way into your engine...

Both pipes are secured with the MAF tube as well as at the bend and the filter by the bumper brace, there is no movement. Also heatsoak would be an issue for a G3 as its chrome pipe and completely unprotected

As far as spraying inside, the paint is enamel not typical wicker basket rattle can spray so there is not going to be any kind of flaking unless there is something scraping it off on the inside which also would need to be pretty sharp to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM
He said he's never seen a flowbench or anything other instrument in testing produce better flow results from corrugation vs. smooth internal piping. Which is probably why almost every single intake kit every produced has smooth piping.
the piping is not "corrugated" which stays corrugated even when bent. Example below:

The piping is "flex pipe" which has a the same smoothness shown below internally when bent. there is minimal undulations in the piping

I would be on the same page as all of haters if it was truly corrugated piping as that would not be conducive to fairly smooth air flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbeatty View Post
A for effort! But... this car is an icon, not a Honda Civic you had in high school. Ghetto air intakes like this should not be on any Z car, including a CRZ!
I never owned a Honda so i wouldnt know. Again as Dave said, this is for the love of DIY and not the person that wants to spend the most money over others. By looking at the finished product you would never, ever suspect that it was a DIY unless i pointed it out to you. Most look at it and ask me if its the Stillen G3 set up. I have done several DIY's on this car that work very well and are less than 1/3 the cost of your high priced retail MODS.

This DIY modded Z will keep up/beat any other similar high priced modded Z.