View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #3967 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil912 View Post
If they ban the AR or 5.56 rounds I will LOL hard! My brother just bought one several months ago. After using the M4 for several years and the M249, I purchased the SCAR 17 for the .308 round used. Really is a nice rifle that I combo up with a FNX-45.
Who's banning 5.56 rounds? The brouhaha was only over the possibility of ATF banning M855 (armor piercing) from civilian sales, and within two days of going viral the ATF issued a statement that that info was incorrect and due to a "publishing error". The concern that bolstered the rumor is that, since people are making AR15-based pistols more often now, it violates the law concerning use of "armor piercing" ammo in pistols (will penetrate body armor).

If they ban a given firearm by rifle, they aren't going to ban just AR15s and variants...they'll ban by category (based on feature set) and the SCAR17 will be part of the ban. Caliber isn't part of the criteria that governments use for defining "assault rifles".

In the meantime, there is still no problem, or even rumored problem, with XM193 ball ammo in 5.56, nor with any of the loadings in .223.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil912 View Post
I am thinking about buying the short barrel for the SCAR and putting a can on it. Not sure if I want to hassle with ATF for 6+ months waiting to get approval to get it.
Are you only going to keep the rifle for 6 months or less? What else are you going to do during that period? If you get it, you're going to be shooting it with the long barrel, might as well be waiting for a stamp. The NFA process isn't difficult, and with e-filing the approval process can be quite simple. Personally, I have found the "hassle" of getting a tax stamp to be negligible, especially compared to the value and convenience of my rifles being SBRs.

/

Last edited by MacCool; 03-08-2015 at 10:51 AM.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote