Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #852 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Holy lack of updates for 5 months or so

The TL;DR recap is: Back in late October I had a drivetrain failure on-track again. I knew the torque convertor was basically destroyed from how it felt/acted. My worst-case assumption was that the vibration from the incident had probably damaged my crank bearings (again), and that bits from the convertor had probably flowed into the main transmission and caused it to need a rebuild as well.

On top of that, both of my sets of tires were on their last legs and various maintenance was all due before the next event as well, and my wallet had already been screaming "Please, stop the hemorrhaging, it's just a hobby!" for months. Also, I was already kinda mentally preparing for possibly switching to an SRF car anyways, so I decided it was time to shut this hobby down for a bit and contemplate my situation thoroughly.

So I basically just left the car in the trailer broken down for a few months and focused on catching up on the rest of my life and finances for a while, and endlessly dithered back and forth in my head the whole time about whether to try to fix the car and drive it, or part it out and work on an SRF, or perhaps fix it, drive it a few times, sell it whole, then go for the SRF. I did show up for a local Z event at MSR-Houston to do some instructing stuff, but other than that I've been off-track the whole time.

Eventually, in early February I had still come to jack-all of a conclusion, and Guru happened to be getting some work done at JTran here in town at the time, so I dropped by their shop with him to check the place out. I ended up deciding to drop my car off with them and at least have them pull the trans out of the car and diagnose the drivetrain so I'd have more information to go on.

As it turns out (a) JTran is awesome to work with and (b) aside from the destroyed convertor, the rest of the drivetrain seems to have miraculously escaped with relatively-little damage. The car's still with them while they wait on the rebuilt convertor, and I'm having them take over and finish up a few of my other random projects on the car while it's there. I expect to have the car back on-track sometime in March at this point.

--------------------------

Suspension stuff:

Prior to the drivetrain incident on the same weekend, I did get to test the car with the new springs (900 front 700 rear on true-type JRZ RS1's). With that setup plus the stock rear sway, the car was too loose and tail-happy for me, so I pulled out the rear sway completely to cut rear springrate and get back to closer balance. With the rear sway gone, the car was still just a *little* more oversteery than I wanted, but was totally safe, driveable, and fun.

With stiffer springs the car was much happier and so was I. I expected to have traction issues in the bumpy spots on the track and/or when running my inside wheels over low kerbing from the stiffer springs, but I was completely wrong about that. With stiffer springs the car stays glued down even better in those situations, I suppose owing to the spring pushing the tire back into the pavement faster/harder.

I've ordered some 1100 lb front springs to try out when I get the car back, so that I kill more front body roll and get the car closer to neutral at the limit than it is now. I suspect with 1100/700 springs and no rear sway the car may actually understeer, but if so I can stick the stock rear sway back on to compensate and I bet it will work out fine that way.

Tires
I also have a couple sets of sticker slicks coming in. Track junkies take note of Hoosier's Winter Discontinued Stuff Sale: they have lots of sticker Conti GT-I slicks in 285/645R18 for $200/tire right now (second from the bottom of the page), which fit great on 18x10s! The meaning of the GT-x codes seems to evolve every year, but I think these will be a bit softer than the GT-O Oval compound I had last year, but may not be quite as soft as even an R6. Still will probably be a great tire for DE stuff.

Last edited by wstar; 02-28-2015 at 01:32 PM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote