View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
GSS138
Track Member

Drives: '12 370Z 6M Sport
GSS138 is a jewel in the roughGSS138 is a jewel in the roughGSS138 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Rules haven't changed, but the Z's reputation led SCCA to mandate a higher weight and intake restrictors. For the Runoffs, excellent driving and preparation helped, but the driver also had Hoosier connections that allowed him to run several sets of the new A7 R-compound tire. That was the key, and a first lap melee behind Dave allowed the Z to stay up front.

But even then it was a struggle- I saw what was left of the A7s after that race and there wasn't much (corded). If Dave had any more pressure, or the Mustang driver had not panicked at a last ditch attempt, the Z might not have emerged the winner. The SCCA tech crew ordered the Z torn down and--to my knowledge--is still the only 370Z competing in SCCA T3 competition for 2015.
For us west coast time attack junkies, please tell us what the "SCCA's reputation" of the Z is? For us out here, it's a good enthusiast class time attack car. martin is working on it becoming a good limited class car. everyone seems to agree it is not a good "street" class car. Serious question.

Our specs are basically:

Enthusiast: Full interior street car with bolt ons, 200 wear tires, no engine mods, no non oem Aero. 2 way coils, sways, and springs allowed. Allowed driver seat replacement only.

Street: tire limits, 5"/roof limit on aero(no active). , turbo 57mm and SC limits 68.5mm, no lexan, still 200 wear tires(I think), can remove full interior,

Limited. Lexan permitted cept windshield, CF body panels allowed, body geometry modifications allowed, no turbo/SC MM limits, UTQG 60.

Not sure how that stacks up to SCCA classing, but can tell you we would get totally screwed in the street class.